Pages

blog background

Monday, March 17, 2014

Malolelei famili.


Malolelei famili.  (Tongans don't use exclamation points !!! apparently)
I'm training Sister P. from Tonga! She was being trained by another sister, but I'm finishing it up. I'm glad I got to finish training Sister St.... She's an amazing missionary, and we will be friends for a long time. 
This is the most adjusting I've ever had to do. But it is so good for me and I'm grateful.   Sister P. was really mad when they called my name to be her companion (hahaha). She said she thought President Maxwell would never put her with a palangi, (white person) only poly's.
In the first day I learned ( or "learnt" as they say here) the following things about Sister P. :
She doesn't like Australia (haha) but loves being a missionary. Her favorite food is dog, she used to "prepare" it herself and eat it everyday. She started driving at age 12. She has 8 siblings. Her house burned down right before her mission. As a youngster, she used to find mice in her house and would keep them in her room so her dad wouldn't kill them.  When children at school would try to steal her coins from her pockets they would find her hidden mouse instead and scream.
The first 24 hours were a little rough. But something happened and now I am having soooooo much fun with her!!! We are sooooo different. But at the same time, the same. We get along so well.
Her English is good, but we still do an hour of language study a day. We laugh so hard as I try to explain things to her...like what a marshmallow is. Or what is the tiny circle I put on my eyeballs everyday (contacts). Our cultures are   very, VERY different. But our differences often work to our advantage. It's cool how we both love and cherish the exact SAME Gospel of Jesus Christ! 
I love Sister P. and know that I have so much to learn from her. I admire her devotion and how un-worldly she is. We are so fortunate and have SO MUCH in America. She understands that "things" do  not make happiness. She is so generous and keeps trying to give me her clothes.

I LOVE the Cranbourne ward! There are 2 other sets of Elders here too. (the zone leader's and the  district leaders) It is a SAMOAN WARD (congregation)! I love the fact that even though I look so different than all of them (I stick out like a very sore thumb), we are ALL Heavenly Father's children. Cranbourne has never had a palangi(white)  sister missionary before!

The first day we set a baptismal date! That is a huge miracle because we had never taught  before and I was a little nervous! Her name is R. and she loves the fact that through the Atonement of Jesus Christ, she can change. Isn't that the most beautiful concept? Who doesn't want to change in some way? The Atonement of Jesus Christ is for ANY and EVERYONE.

Saturday we did a massive service project for a woman.  The  front/back/side yard was worse than any Hoarders episode I've ever seen. About 30 members of the ward showed up to this woman's house whom they didn't even know and worked for 5+ hours and are all going back tomorrow. That is charity. She came to church yesterday :)
This poor lady just finds the good in EVERYTHING and doesn't throw anything away. I was putting a broken brick in the pile of rubbish and she freaked out and threatened to cut my hair with the scissors she was holding (hahahahaha)
 I love being a missionary. I know that my Redeemer lives!

'Ofa atu
Sister Stevenson

No comments:

Post a Comment